Thursday, March 25, 2010

Qvuickly Qvuickly

I was taking a small break from Japanese and read an article in the NYtimes online. I ran across this interesting article about people who sabotage themselves and blame others for their failures (which the author takes to calling a masochistic personality). It was pretty interesting, then I ran across this little paragraph:

"But if someone has a pattern of disappointment in many areas of life, a therapist should consider that it could be self-engineered. Treatment can help, including psychodynamic and cognitive therapy, but there is still no effective medication for masochism."

Immediately, I knew the author was a psychiatrist. Scroll down to the bottom and *ching* I'm correct. There's "still no effective medication" my #&$. We don't need medications nearly as much as you are giving them out. Read any psychology textbook (or maybe the always-trusty wikipedia). Success rates are about the same, if not in conventional, non-medicated therapy's (I'm focusing on CBT with this one) favor. Not only that, recidivism rates for those who finally go off of the medication are incredibly high, so non-medicated therapy has the benefit of protecting the individual from future relapses.

Granted, there are some places where medicine does have it's proper place, but it's not nearly as necessary as I think people believe.

[Wanting to insert child-like "Where's your medication for that, psychiatrist?" but trying not to weaken argument... perhaps too late...]

Unfortunately, this endemic belief that medication is the way to solve problems, especially by a portion of those who are actually tasked with solving the problems, is a big problem, in my opinion.

No comments:

Statcounter

About Me

Hi, I'm Greg, but you can call me by my Japanese name, Gureggu, if you'd like. I'm writing this blog to explain effective ways to do business with Japan and Japanese companies. Why? Japanese companies are notoriously difficult to understand, and doing business in Japan has a unique set of hurdles.

Why I'm qualified to write about Japan: I have worked in Japan for a total of 8 years. I worked sales at a Japanese import/export company (subsidiary of a much larger corporation) as the only foreigner in the company. Before that, I taught for 2 years at High Schools and 3 years teaching elementary and middle school in Aomori Prefecture. I have lived the life of a salaryman and experienced firsthand the institutions that shape Japanese people in their most formative years.