Thursday, July 9, 2009

Big Brother, here?

Hello Folks,

Here is your update. I won't take any accusations that it's "about a month late" or anything like that, because I am never late. Time, yes, you can blame time for passing when I explicitly told it not to pass, but don't even think to blame me. It's ok though, my comments section is woefully sad because it has so few posts. Even if I don't know you, feel free to comment, I usually comment back!

So, so much has happened recently, I don't know what to write. About half of the people, and more than half of my friends, will be leaving in the next few weeks. It's scary, sad, and I don't know what I'll do. I am excited to meet the new people who will replace them, but can't we have the best of both worlds and add the new people to our already existing roster?

I'm "Big Brother" to two new arrivals. I can't wait for them to arrive and I can be all Big Brother-y. Not 1984 style, that's a little too much. I mean, forcing people to do exercises in the morning along with the rest of the nation? Please.

In petty news today, my Japanese class has moved to a different building next semester. That means it will take me an extra 10-15 minutes to get there. You can believe it? It used to be so close, so convenient. Ahh well, I'll have my 50cc scooter by then, so maybe it won't be so bad. That's right, I'm buying Matt's old scooter. And, oh yes, it will be glorious.

In other small news today, I am teaching tomorrow, Saturday, at Shingo, in front of parents. I'm not too worried, as the parents can't speak my language, and therefore can't understand at least half of my class.

Travel news: I am going on a 3 day Tokyo trip. I'll be climbing Mount Fuji! Oh yeah, chop that one off the list of things to do.

Next Travel News: I am going around Japan in August on a special ticket that makes all of the non-shinkansen (bullet train) trains free. Yeah, let's see where I'll go! Don't know yet. I would like my friends and I to work our way up north.

2 times later travel news: I have 9 days off for "Silver Week" in September. Where should I go? Out of the country suggestions, por favor.

I don't think I've been anywhere particularly interesting lately. We had the farewell party in Aomori city. All of the JETs in Aomori Prefecture came. There was a nice reception, we went to a sake bar afterwards, and then we all went home to Hach for a sleepover at my place. Ugh, seeing all my friends with the "leavers" crowd was a little tough.

Oh, I went camping at Shirahama a few weeks ago. It was really fun, we had a bbq and everything. The only problem was that the sun rose at 4 in the morning, and my tent was searingly hot at around 5:15. I was grumpy that day, and went to sleep for awhile to recoup on non-grumpiness.

What's next for me? Office days. Many, many office days. Which is good! I plan to finish kanji (finally!) and start my reading and speaking. It's like, I've been only doing kanji for awhile, and me speaking has suffered. BUT, after this, I'll more than make up for the lost time. I'm pretty excited about it.

Ok, ok, let me see, how can I keep you entertained for another paragraph? Uhhh, ummm. Ok, if we can make a deal and I can do these shorter posts more frequently, I promise I'll keep you updated. How about that? Deal?...I don't know what I'm getting myself into, but I'll try this time.

Ok, over and out.

-Greg

RaNdOm JAPan:
Do you know "kancho?" No? Are you sure I haven't explained it? Check this then: http://www.kancho.org/. Now imagine the fear I must live with every time I teach at an elementary school. Yes, pity and be afraid. Props if you can read Japanese, the shirts are hilarious.

No comments:

Statcounter

About Me

Hi, I'm Greg, but you can call me by my Japanese name, Gureggu, if you'd like. I'm writing this blog to explain effective ways to do business with Japan and Japanese companies. Why? Japanese companies are notoriously difficult to understand, and doing business in Japan has a unique set of hurdles.

Why I'm qualified to write about Japan: I have worked in Japan for a total of 8 years. I worked sales at a Japanese import/export company (subsidiary of a much larger corporation) as the only foreigner in the company. Before that, I taught for 2 years at High Schools and 3 years teaching elementary and middle school in Aomori Prefecture. I have lived the life of a salaryman and experienced firsthand the institutions that shape Japanese people in their most formative years.