Sunday, May 10, 2009

Back From Golden Week

Hello Everyone,



Today is my first day back in the office from Golden Week, the week-long Japanese national holiday. Now, I want to tell you all of the things I did, but, truthfully, the impetus for writing in my blog comes from something much more mundane.



I'm learning kanji right now. You know, kanji, the about 50,000 characters that exist as pictures, used instead of an alphabet. It's past time to start learning the "necessary" 2,000 for daily life. THEY ARE KILLING ME. I just got back and started reviewing on the kanji website I've been using. I'm "at" 534 kanji, but as of 2 minutes ago, I forgot about 112 out of the 254 I'm reviewing. Do you know how frustrating this is? Let's practice with your mental imagery. Imagine trying to butter a piece of toast. Now, pretend that the toast is actually a cat with camouflage running around a forest. That's how I feel. It's SO FRUSTRATING right now. And the part that makes it even more frustrating is that I'm just learning to recognize their English meanings, not the two different ways to read them, nor their changes when placed next to other kanji. I'll let you know that this is alphabet number 3 I need to learn for this silly language. FRUSTRATION!

Ok, now that that is out of the way, let me write about my awesome trip. I went to Yokohama (near Tokyo), Kyoto (the old capital), Nara (deer park -yes, I got attacked), Kobe (had some beef), and Osaka. It was a hell of a trip. And now I'm tired from all of that traveling.

**Author's note: I didn't realize I clicked the "save" button instead of the "post" button, so this wasn't put up when I wrote it last week. Gomen ne!

No comments:

Statcounter

About Me

Hi, I'm Greg, but you can call me by my Japanese name, Gureggu, if you'd like. I'm writing this blog to explain effective ways to do business with Japan and Japanese companies. Why? Japanese companies are notoriously difficult to understand, and doing business in Japan has a unique set of hurdles.

Why I'm qualified to write about Japan: I have worked in Japan for a total of 8 years. I worked sales at a Japanese import/export company (subsidiary of a much larger corporation) as the only foreigner in the company. Before that, I taught for 2 years at High Schools and 3 years teaching elementary and middle school in Aomori Prefecture. I have lived the life of a salaryman and experienced firsthand the institutions that shape Japanese people in their most formative years.