Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Le Part Deux

Hello again,

Well, now for the next update to my blog, a continuation of yesterday's (last week's?) show.

Unfortunately, I don't really have any interviews for you on this show, as it's just me, typing. Also, the only people I could interview would end up sounding something like: いそがしい、いそがしい、どうして にほんごを はなせますえんか。 And really, I don't know if all your computers can actually read that.

I also don't have live musical acts. It's a shame, I know, so many other shows are doing it, but that's just the way it is here. Really, all I have is that opening intro where you picture me, Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien, or your favorite of choice, letting you know how awesome my show is and trying to open with a few jokes.

Instead, I can let you know how last weekend went.

Last weekend, I went to Rokkasho for the International Festival. Since Rokkasho has a nuclear power plant, the town gets lots of extra money, as well as foreign scientists. What other reason do you need to celebrate? I opened the festival by dancing salsa with a woman from Honduras (and making a good $150 for my trouble...seriously, this town is loaded and that was my thank you gift). It was, yes, you guessed it, fun. It also made me really want to learn more salsa, but, unfortunately, there is nowhere in Hachionhe that teaches that dance. There is a Samba dance place, but, really, that's about it. Here's a little-known fact about me; I think I could be a great salsa dancer if I actually had a place to learn. It's also one of my non-regret regrets. What's a non-regret regret? Well, I don't regret the fact that I'm not learning (and haven't been for awhile) because there hasn't been a way for me to do so; yet, I do regret that there isn't a possibility for me to learn as of now.

Anyways, after the opening act and a foreigner fashion show, all there was left to do was eat! And eating is what I do best. Japanese food gets boring after awhile, and this was the antidote. Spanish lentil soup, French bread with dried meat, Honduran tortilla soup...it was too good. After making my way around, it was time to go home. Unfortunately, we didn't get to go snowboarding that night, but instead I had an old-fashioned sleepover at my place. This was partially to celebrate the new TV that the JET program blessed me with. Yes, they gave me a new, 32 inch TV, to prepare for their impending change to digital in 2011. It's beautiful. If only I could understand enough Japanese to actually watch TV.....haha until then, videogames and movies it is!

Sunday was busy as well. I went to hang out with the other Greg. He teaches at Hachinohe University, and we hung out at his house. It was wicked fun, to say the least. Aside from getting beaten by his children at Smash Brothers, which slightly dented my pride, I can't wait to go back. Also, his wife cooked this thing, there isn't a name for it yet, so we'll call it "pure delicious." We had some "pure delicious" for dessert. "Oishii" as they say.

Sorry to end this quick, but work is almost done. As a sidenote, for those who want a more family friendly album than the one I reviewed last week, try any of the previous Of Montreal Albums, which are all good. I would prefer you tried Satanic Panic in the Attic, or Hiss Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? Ya' dig?

Greg-out

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you speak Japanese?

Greg said...

Same reason I don't fly, there's kryptonite everywhere in Japan.

Statcounter

About Me

Hi, I'm Greg, but you can call me by my Japanese name, Gureggu, if you'd like. I'm writing this blog to explain effective ways to do business with Japan and Japanese companies. Why? Japanese companies are notoriously difficult to understand, and doing business in Japan has a unique set of hurdles.

Why I'm qualified to write about Japan: I have worked in Japan for a total of 8 years. I worked sales at a Japanese import/export company (subsidiary of a much larger corporation) as the only foreigner in the company. Before that, I taught for 2 years at High Schools and 3 years teaching elementary and middle school in Aomori Prefecture. I have lived the life of a salaryman and experienced firsthand the institutions that shape Japanese people in their most formative years.