Thursday, January 29, 2009

Coquelicot, because that was the first word that jumped into my head

Hello Friends,

Here is the quick update of my past week.

Last Friday night, I went to Erin and Crystal's karaoke birthday party! It was wicked fun. We ate dinner at Palki and then moved onto karaoke. Seth, Tina, and I got there late because we were shopping for snowboarding stuff at Xebio. The karaoke was cool, but I'm not a big fan of singing in front of other people, so that took awhile and some drinks.

Last Saturday I went to Okunakayama, a small mountain, where I tried to practice my snowboarding abilities. Unfortunately, the ground was pure ice, so I didn't really get to learn anything, I was more afraid of how much it hurt to fall down (a lot...even with pads). It was not fun, and I was more frustrated that I didn't get to learn anything. Ah well. After that, those of us who left early (most of us) went to an onsen on the way there.

This was perfect for after a day of snowboarding. Warm water, good food...you can almost pretend there aren't any naked old people. Almost.

Sunday I went to a wind ensemble concert with many of the Hachinohe JETs. Their Japanese coworker was playing. I ran into one of my teachers at Nosawa...he seems to be pretty big into the band scene in Hach (awhile back I went to his jazz concert). Afterwards, we went as a group to see the newest Bond movie. Some of us, including yours truly, dressed up. Unfortunately, we weren't told of this until the night before, which really wasn't ideal even though people knew we wanted to dress up. Regardless, it was still good. I didn't think this movie was one of the better Bonds though. I thought that the camera was too much like in the Bourne movies at times, you know, way too shaky and not revealing enough of the action during the action scenes. It didn't ruin the hand-to-hand scenes, but that car chase scene at the beginning was just watching a few blurs moving around objects we couldn't see. I understand the theory behind the camera-work, but I think it's a case of theory versus practicality.

So, that was my weekend. During the week, I just had the usual. Teaching et al. My shower was fixed though, which is awesome! I can now shower in my apartment, level up!

After my self-introduction in class, I usually answer student's questions about anything. As you can imagine, that can lead to a lot of interesting questions. Today was a brilliant example. The young 3rd grader- we'll call him Timmy, in the vein of his strong desire to learn English- asked "Why do Americans have big noses?" How do you answer that? How was I supposed to answer? "It's genetics, kid." I wish I could have explained. But, I was just left saying "wakaranai- i don't know."

Ah, that brings me to another point. For those of you who might not have realized this, Japan is a country where 98 percent of people DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH. This includes the younger generation. It is not like some European countries where "everyone speaks english" even though it is not the main language. Old or young alike, in Japan, (almost) NO ONE SPEAKS ENGLISH. Hence, they are kind enough to offer me a job here. And, being the charitable soul that I am, I am kind enough to take it.

Another short one, again, mostly for my recollection. I hope you had a good week, and good luck next week. Hopefully the next post will be longer and more involved.

Also, still no godzilla, I must've scared him when I first landed in Tokyo.

Greg out.

2 comments:

C. Pierzchala said...

I totally agree with the Bond comment. That first scene was impossible to follow. And I swear I couldn't tell the cars apart - even though Alex tells me the bad guys were in a cheap, ugly car and Bond was in an awesome cool car... I still think they were both dark colored and blurry

Unknown said...

agreed with Casey (and i remember Alex telling you that)...i saw it twice, and still couldn't tell them apart the second time...hmmmmm.

Statcounter

About Me

Hi, I'm Greg, but you can call me by my Japanese name, Gureggu, if you'd like. I'm writing this blog to explain effective ways to do business with Japan and Japanese companies. Why? Japanese companies are notoriously difficult to understand, and doing business in Japan has a unique set of hurdles.

Why I'm qualified to write about Japan: I have worked in Japan for a total of 8 years. I worked sales at a Japanese import/export company (subsidiary of a much larger corporation) as the only foreigner in the company. Before that, I taught for 2 years at High Schools and 3 years teaching elementary and middle school in Aomori Prefecture. I have lived the life of a salaryman and experienced firsthand the institutions that shape Japanese people in their most formative years.